READY IN: 10 minutes (plus freezing time)
1 (16oz) Package Strawberries
2-3 Tablespoons Simple Syrup*
Pinch of Salt
½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Tablespoon Grand Marnier or Cointreau**
Whipped Cream for Garnish
Fresh Mint or Basil for Garnish
- Wash and hull your strawberries
- Place all strawberries in a blender with remaining ingredients and blend until mixture appears smooth and well blended
- Pour mixture through a fine mesh sieve onto a rimmed baking sheet and place baking sheet in freezer
- Every 30-45 minutes stir the mixture with a fork and then return baking sheet to the freezer, after about 3 hours the mixture should be forming some good ice crystals and after about 4 -6 hours the granita should be ready to serve, depending on how cold your freezer is.
- To serve, scoop what should now look like strawberry ice into bowls or goblets and garnish with whipped cream and a mint or basil leaf.
Unlike traditional sorbets you’ll notice the minimal amount of sugar in this recipe and the absence of corn syrup
*Simple Syrup is made by combining equal amounts of sugar and water and heating the two ingredients until the sugar is fully dissolved, you can do this in the microwave or on the stovetop
**You can always be a little heavier handed with Grand Marnier, if desired, the 1tbsp is just a starting point or minimum recommendation